Tuesday 20 November 2012

Malcolm X - Dialectical Journal No. SIXTEEN!

CHAPTER 6 ~ Page 100/101

"I kept my eyes open. If anybody looked suspicious, I'd quickly cross the street, or go through a door, or turn a corner, loosening my arm enough to let the package drop. At night, when I usually did my selling, any suspicious person wouldn't be likely to see the trick. If I decided I had been mistaken, I'd go back and get my sticks."

Selling drugs. Tsk tsk Mr. Malcolm. This life of crime that becomes increasingly more pronounced for him is getting more intrinsic and complicated as it advances. It's been said in other journals that this is all too common for the Negro community since their opportunities were seemingly very limited. Going against the law was the only option in some cases, but it's interesting to notice how well-developed Malcolm becomes at covering his tracks and forming an escape plan. Transitioning into this passage, Malcolm says:

"The law specified that if the evidence wasn't actually in your possession, you couldn't be arrested."

He is obviously taking time to hear about/learn of the laws on possessions and dealing, so it's a shame that the time spent gathering this knowledge could have easily been applied to law studies in his once-on quest to become a lawyer. Oh well.


1 comment:

  1. Lawyers make the best thieves? Interesting insight into the possibilities of Malcolm. It is said that some people are born with particular gifts and develop those gifts in different ways depending upon their environment.

    ReplyDelete