Wednesday 21 November 2012

Malcolm X - Dialectical Journal No. TWENTY-NINE!

CHAPTER 9 ~ Page 150

Right at the end of the chapter, there seems to be a little disclosure that really tells Malcolm's purpose for reciting his life's events to Mr. Alex Haley. It makes sense and I feel not much description goes along with it, as it has been what I've been saying throughout the journals. (Time for jail though...)

"I want to say before I go on that I have never previously told anyone my sordid past in detail. I haven't done it now to sound as though I might be proud of how bad, how evil, I was."

Never telling anyone of this? This marks a stage of growth for Malcolm, at the height of his influence. Coming out with this information is remarkable ethos as he has truly learned a whole lot from his life, as he says

"But people are always speculating -- why am I as I am? To understand that of any person, his whole life, from birth, must be reviewed. All of our experiences fuse into our personality. Everything that ever happened to us is an ingredient. Today, when everything that I do has an urgency, I would not spend one hour in the preparation of a book which had the ambition to perhaps titillate some readers. But I am spending many hours because the full story is the best way that I know to have it seen, and understood, that I had sunk to the very bottom of the American white man's society when -- soon now, in prison -- I found Allah and the religion of Islam and it completely transformed my life."



No comments:

Post a Comment