Wednesday 21 November 2012

Malcolm X - Dialectical Journal No. TWENTY-SEVEN!

CHAPTER 9 ~ Page 138

"Looking back, I think I really was at least slightly out of my mind. I viewed narcotics as most people regard food. I wore my guns as today I wear my neckties. Deep down, I actually believed that after living as fully as humanly possible, one should then die violently. I expected then, as I still expect today, to die at any time. But then, I think I deliberately invited death in many, sometimes insane ways."

Looking back, I think really was at least slightly out of my mind. Sure sounds like it! Seriously, regarding drugs as if they were food? That's quite an intake, I wonder, had he not been assassinated, how long he would have had to live, given his excessive drug abuse.  Hmmmm...

This attitude is becoming more and more aggressive while at the same time indifferent. He has almost stopped caring, as living in a society where very little care about you, it can be easy to forget to care about yourself. This leads to the self-destructive behaviour (again, more connections with James Baldwin! :O ) that ruptures the connection within the black community as they attempt to bond together and break the ties of segregation and oppression.

1 comment:

  1. Again - good connection with Baldwin and the idea of hatred leading to self-destructive behavior.

    ReplyDelete